Jonathan A. Lewis
2612 Ponkan Meadow Drive
Apopka, FL 32712
- Network Administration including:
Installation, configuration, and maintenance of Cisco routers, switches,
dial-up access servers, Brocade, Juniper, and Arista routers and switches, Linux routers, Netscreen, Livingston,
Ascend, Netgear, Cyclades, Zyxel, Efficient, and Netopia routers for LAN/WAN
communications, VPN, Internet access, and large scale Content Delivery Networks utilizing BGP anycast.
with Internet routing (BGP, OSPF, ISIS) on Cisco, Brocade, Juniper, and Arista routers and switches, and use/compilation of the
GateD Unix routing daemon on Linux systems.
Installation and maintenance of Cacti, MRTG, Cricket, Big Brother, and
Netsaint (now Nagios) for network monitoring, and RANCID for network device
configuration change tracking and archiving.
Interfacing with telco vendors, repair technicians, and
customers in the ordering (including research and interpretation of BellSouth
tariffs), installation, and troubleshooting of analog phone lines, ISDN BRI
and PRI, T1, T3, Frame-Relay, ATM, OC3, gigabit, 10G, and 100G ethernet circuits.
- System Administration including:
- Installation and administration of Linux servers supporting
Xen virtualization, iSCSI (initiators and targets), HTTP, public FTP archives and mirrors,
NNTP (INN & Typhoon), SMTP (Sendmail 8.x, qmail), POP3, IMAP, webmail,
multi-port Linux based SLIP/PPP servers providing Internet service.
Installation, configuration, dialplan design, AGI scripting, and minor
channel driver hacking for the Asterisk software PBX.
Installation and maintenance of DNS servers (Bind 4.x - 9.x, unbound,
powerdns, rbldnsd) serving thousands of zones as well as zones with millions of records.
Experience dealing with unix system security and
network DoS attacks, break-in and break-in-attempt detection, and tracking
of system crackers.
Extensive experience building and using a wide variety of
software packages on multiple unix/Linux platforms.
- Programming languages used:
and Lab Windows C.
- Operating systems used:
- Linux (various distributions, I'm comfortable
building, applying patches, and creating new patches for the Linux kernel,
patching or building custom RPMs, building packages from source), OS X, MS DOS, MS Windows
XP, 2000, NT, 98, 95, & 3.x, MS Windows For Workgroups, Macintosh System 7. Some experience
with Solaris, SCO OpenServer, FreeBSD, and Motorola SVR4 Unix.
- WWW experience including:
- Installation, maintenance, and security of NCSA, Apache, and C2 Stronghold
servers, including large virtual servers (thousands of sites per system) and
SSL servers. Development of HTML forms and CGI scripts. Perl CGI
interfaced with MySQL databases. Co-authored chapter 14,
Unlocking the Mysteries of CGI, in Netscape
& HTML EXplorer, by Urban LeJune.
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Florida State University, April 1992.
- Physics Minor.
- Three years graduate research in Inorganic Chemistry at University of
Florida, January 1993 through December 1995.
Internet / IT Work Experience:
- Senior Network Engineer, Highwinds / StackPath,
Winter Park, FL, May, 2013 to present. (Moved from Highwinds to StackPath as part of
StackPath's acquisition of Highwinds in Feb, 2017.)
- Deployment and maintenance of Brocade, Cisco, Juniper, and Arista routers, switches, load balancers, internal and external
routing / traffic engineering for a multi-continent network providing CDN,
colo, and transit.
Prolific coding work (in perl, python, and bash) to automate and/or standardize tasks for the network
- Senior Engineer, Team Cymru,
Lake Mary, FL, February, 2013 to May, 2013.
- Linux system administration. Internet security related data collection & analysis.
- Principal Network Engineer, Atlantic.Net ,
Gainesville/Orlando, FL, February, 1999 to March, 2013.
- Network design, deployment, and maintenance of routers, switches, and access
servers in a multi-homed regional ISP network covering the southeastern US
and a 25,000 SqFt data center servicing hundreds of ethernet connected customers
with gigabits of internet transit.
Configuration of interior and exterior routing protocols. BGP tuning to
balance incoming and outgoing traffic across multiple transit circuits of
varying capacities. Designing network redundancy / high availability using
STP, HSRP, VRRP, Linux heartbeat and ldirector. Design and implementation of
MPLS VPNs, MPLS TE, QoS for VOIP on cisco and Linux routers.
Maintenance of IRR data, scripting IP address space utilization auditing, and dealing
with ARIN when applying for additional IP space or transferring space and ASNs
from acquisitions. Specification, installation, termination, and testing of POTS, DS1,
DS3, 10/100/1000BaseT copper, 1000BaseSX and 10GBASE-SR (OM3) fiber.
Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris) System administration and installation.
Construction of new servers for greater scalability and to add new services.
Solaris/ZFS volume management including scripts to handle snapshots and
automate backups of cloud VM storage.
Extensive experience with anti-spam measures in application to incoming and
outgoing mail flows. Wrote several anti-spam patches and extensions for qmail.
Scripts and C code to parse RADIUS accounting data and bill for simultaneous dialup logins.
Many scripting projects, most in perl, often using DBI to access MySQL databases.
- Unix/Network consulting, January, 1997 to present.
- Consulting for various ISP's and corporate networks including building
GNU and ISC applications on old Unix systems, sendmail tuning, BGP and OSPF
configuration, Linux kernel hacking, Red Hat Linux installation,
maintenance, and remote management.
- Principal System and Network Engineer, Florida Digital Turnpike,
Gainesville, FL, May, 1995 to February, 1999.
- Designed, built, and maintained one of the area's first locally owned Internet service providers.
Grew from 0 customers and 1 POP to 3000 customers and 4 POPs.
- Research Assistant, University of Florida, Department of Chemistry,
Assisted with installation and maintenance of departmental workstations
and Linux servers, as well as the chemistry department's physical network.
- Database Programmer, Doctors Hospital, Sports Medicine
Division, Miami, Florida, June, 1992 to December, 1992.
- Undergraduate Research under Professor Ken Goldsby, Florida State University, Spring 1988 to Spring 1992.
- Designed and wrote several programs including a software package that
controls a Milton Roy Spectronic 1201 spectrophotometer.
General Work Experience:
- Graduate Research under Professor Gus Palenik, University of
Florida, January, 1993 to December 1995.
- Teaching Assistant for general chemistry lecture and laboratory
courses, University of Florida, January, 1993 to December 1995.
- Stringer sports photographer, Associated Press, Tallahassee, Florida, Fall 1989 to Spring 1992.
- Veterinarian's assistant, Droughton
Animal Clinic, Miami, Florida, Summers, 1989-90.
- Sports photographer, Florida Flambeau, Tallahassee, Florida, 1987.
- Vice President: Wekiva Run HOA 2017 to 2020.
President: Florida State Cave Club, 1991 to 1992.
- Life Member: Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, since Spring 1992.